I am glad to say that after nearly one week without a home computer we now have our computer working again. I seriously went into withdrawal the first day or two without a computer. I can live without a television, but without a computer I suffered a bit. It just goes to show how dependent I am on my computer. There are still a number of programs that I need to reinstall, but the basics work- I just hope I don’t need to scan or print today! The best news of the computer virus scare is that they were able to recover my files!!! With that being said I now have my photos of the kids back.
I thought today I would take a few minutes to write about five valuable lessons that I learned from this experience.
(1) Always back up your computer! I have an external hard drive- I just rarely use it. By the end of the weekend I will have all of my files saved in an alternate spot.
(2) Watch out where you stream from; there are a lot of websites out there that have viruses and I sure don’t want to catch one again. Max said he would limit his streaming to more trusted sites- hopefully that will work.
(3) Limit my time on the computer for other activities. I am a bit of a computer nerd. I don’t spend my time playing games or anything, but I love to sit down with a Word document and write all the time! Not having access to a computer for almost a week I had time to do other things.
(4) Never give up. Even without a functioning computer I somehow managed to continue blogging without interruption. I never realized how determined I can be if I put my mind it. This really makes me feel good, and I hope that in future situations I can look back to this instance and realize that nothing is impossible.
(5) Own more than one computer. We have had it on our list to buy a second computer and hopefully that will become a reality before the year ends! A second computer will allow us to continue to have internet access if some other crazy thing happens to one of the computers.